Re: Transplanting trees, growing other nut trees

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chales Krammin on February 02, 2018 at 11:01:00 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Transplanting trees posted by Charles (N.C.) on January 27, 2018 at 11:21:10:

I am a member of the "Michigan nut growers club" and have gained much knowledge from other nut growers and from education. Here is what I currently have experience in. I am fortunate in that I live and grow in central Michigan and have excess to the family farm in the Lake Michigan shore fruit growing district, each with different growing zones.
In Hastings MI I have access to 4 mature "English Walnut trees" which need constant management for disease IPM monitoring and cultural collecting of diseased nuts and disposal in a sanitary land fill to get edible nuts. I collect 140# of good seed each year and crack nuts all winter. "curcilo insects (look like rose chaffers), with a "probustics" nose, with which they open a 1/2 moon shaped slit (method of idenitification of time of infection). The nuts that are "stung" burrow into the nut, of which result in a "June drop" (thus next year infestation) collecting and sanitary disposal of infected nuts interrupts future infestation. No sprays are really effective. There are no IPM traps available.
The other disease is the "walnut husk fly", which resemble a smaller "deer fly" and can be traped with an IPM stickie fly tape for time of infestaton and application of a insecticide like sevin or malation, laced with sorghum molasses, so they will eat the spray. the fly infestation comes in August and the worm is only in the husk, which then causes a dark kernel and the nuts when the infested nuts (black husk) fall with the good husk nut, which then can be separated and the bad nuts sanitary land fill disposal. Reinfestation of both of the above can be reinfected from nearby wild 'black walnut and wild shag bark hickory.
So as you can see 'the trees adopt you and need your constant care.
The other nuts that I gather and sprout and transplant are: Chinese chestnut, American chestnut, shag bark hickory, shell bark hickory (King nuts) Butternut, Black walnut, Pine nuts of which I have some English walnut 1 year old transplants and 1 year old Chinese chestnut (resistant to American chestnut decline). The above pine nuts and shell bark hickory, only grow in the Lake Michigan district zone. All others can be planted in most all of Michigan. contact me for details of the above.
I have nuts planted last fall for "scarication" freeze thaw breaks shell for separation at germination. I have English walnut , American and Chinese chestnut, shag bark and shell bark hickory, butternut planted in soil outside, protected by screening to keep the squirrels out. Pinenuts are only 7 years old and have not produces seed yet. The varities are "Swiss" "Siberian" "Korean".
Charles Krammin
contact me by wmail for questions or seed/tree purchase.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]