Talking of paper routs (long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Smith on December 24, 2017 at 17:18:28 [URL] [DELETE] :

When I was 15 years old I had a paper route with just over 100 customers. Delivering the Buffalo Evening News. It was a easy route, House to house in the city of Tonawanda NY. I got one and a half cent for every paper delivered. With tips I was making about a dollar fifty a day. That was good money back in 1952. Then the kid that had the rout right next to mine, just quit delivering the papers on his rout. The boss had to take it over and deliver the papers himself and he did not like that. The boss from the news talked me into taking the other kids rout along with mine. Then the kid on the route the other side of me quit delivering the papers. Again the boss could not find someone to take that rout over and stuck it with me. There was two young boys on the route that started following me. I told them that if they were going to follow me, I was going to put them to work. I wold pay them a dollar each a day and we would take a break at one of the delicatessens and I would buy the sodas and snacks. Their mother was a WW2 widow and did not have much income. She thanked me for letting the boys help as it gave them spending money. My Dad could not believe I was at 15 years old and making more per week than he was working at Columbus McKinnon chain. Then I got called in the office. The Government found out how much I was making and I had to pay Social Security and income taxes.
I would give my mother 15 dollars a week for household use. My dad hit the roof when he found out I had to pay taxes. Dad used to hit me up once in a while for a buck or two so he could stop with the guys he worked with for a beer or two. Draft beer was only 10 cents a glass then. I had lots of money but no time to spend it. When I turned 16 I wanted more time to myself and decided to give up the paper rout.
I asked my helpers mother if they could have the job. She asked me how much I was making per week.
I told her it was a 6 day a week job and made almost 50 dollars a week. She cried, and hugged me.
My dad drove me, the boys and their mother to the news office. I told them what I wanted to do. But there was a problem. The boys weren't old enough to have a paper rout. I told him I was willing to keep the rout in my name until the oldest was old enough in 4 months. He said he could go along with that.
Their mom sent me a Christmas card and a Birthday card every year for years after telling what went on in the boys life.
There was a couple of serious escapades that happened to me when I had the paper rout but I will not go into that now.
Dave <*)))><

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]