Re: Looking To Buy New Gun

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by steveVa on December 14, 2017 at 16:54:50 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Looking To Buy New Gun posted by Tim Daley(MI) on December 14, 2017 at 10:34:33:

The S&W .357 is a very good choice. Very dependable. Very accurate. Very safe to operate. Easy to clean and maintain. Easy to find assortment of ammo. You can practice with .38 special ammo, which are cheaper loads. You can save the brass and .38 special and .357 loads are easy to reload.

The 9mm is also a good choice as far as easy to find ammo and is relatively cheap. You will go through 2X or 3X the ammo when you practice because the clips hold 15 to 17 rounds as opposed to six. The 9mm semi auto is relatively easy to operate, but in my opinion is more dangerous to use as a carry weapon. You have to decide if you want to keep a round in the chamber, which I would never do. But if you don't then you have to operate the action and work the safety before you can fire. All a lot to think of in an emergency.

The sig is a nice brand quality weapon, but in my opinion is somewhat heavy and has a long trigger pull which affects accuracy. Most sig shooters always shoot a bit high and to the left for that reason. I have never tried to reload 9mm rounds because I have always heard that once fired brass expands just enough to cause 10X more jambs and misfires.

The most popular 9mm is probably a Glock 17 or 15 because they are relatively light and very dependable. The only complaint I had about the Glock was the safety pull on the trigger and that it had no other safety. So once you charge the chamber there is no way to un-cock the hammer and you have to remove the clip and eject the round if you want to be safe. I would never want to carry a Glock with one in the chamber because of the only safety on the trigger pull. To me there is nothing to stop an accidental trigger pull. The newer ones may be different, I have not kept up.
The easy solution for me would be to not keep one in the chamber until you are ready to fire. So once you rack one into the chamber you typically empty the clip.

A very accurate and dependable 9mm is the CZ73 or 75, I can't remember which right now. A little heavier then the glock but very dependable and accurate.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]