Re: No hunting signs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on November 23, 2017 at 06:49:15 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: No hunting signs posted by Kirk-NJ on November 22, 2017 at 08:38:55:

Yeah, slobs will do what the hell they want no matter what. Trespassing, illegal shooting/kills, hunting without a license et al. In Michigan it too is required one must have written permission from the landowner to hunt his land. Few seldom follow this rule. Neighbors and landowners allow friends and relatives to hunt their property all the time with only verbal permission given. Back before 1970, farmers welcomed hunters on their property to cull the herd somewhat and help preserve their food crops. One simply had to knock on the door and ask, bring a dozen donuts or bottle of booze, maybe even offer to share the meat with the landowner. When land started becoming scarce and wildlife habitat began disappearing, hunting areas too began disappearing, especially with upland birds. Then it began with city dwellers driving north to rural areas and just seeing a plot of woods or fields and assuming it was theirs open to hunt automatically. That's when we began to see NO HUNTING/NO TRESPASSING signs pop up. Often these signs ended up as targets. Years ago I was hunting my own property on an opening morning and about 8 AM I hear leaves rustling and start thinking something coming through the woods. Something was coming all right. Some stupid a-hole steps out in front of my blind, trespassing, dressed in orange and carrying a rifle. I said WTF are you dong? You are on private property! Plus, you have now ruined my hunt because if there were any deer in the area they are now long gone. He said he was a friend of a landowner a mile down the road and had permission to hunt. HUH? Did he explain his property boundaries to you? I told him to get the hell out of there and later I contacted my neighbor and told him what happened. The neighbor apologized and never let he guy back again. Unbelievable balls some people have. Yesterday I was driving the backroads and came across two suspicious fellas in the woods about 30 yards off the road, Bronco parked on the road, engine running. They had just blasted a deer from their vehicle and were hauling it to their truck. How could I tell it was an illegal kill? Neither slob was wearing hunting/camo/hunter orange garb, just jeans and sweatshirts, smoking, one carrying a 22 rifle still. When they saw me coming, they dropped the deer they were dragging and acted stupid. I slowly drove past then turned around a half mile down the road and came back. They were now loading the deer in the back of the vehicle, ungutted. So I wrote down their vehicle plate number and description as I drove by again only a little faster as I knew what they were up to and didn't want them to start shooting at me. I would have given them the benefit of the doubt had they had it gutted and were in hunting garb. Shoot a deer, track it, field dress it, and then drive your vehicle to haul/pack it out it easily. I reported this to the MI DNR "Report All Poaching" hot line, but we'll see if there will be any follow-up. As per most police and government law enforcement agencies nowadays, most are understaffed, underpaid, and overworked. Many people don't realize the DNR, Federal Wildlife Officers have more power than the police. We were taught that every law officer was to be respected and as kids some of us wanted to be a DNR officer. I know I did. HUNT SAFELY and LEGALLY...

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]