Re: Cardinal Rule For Snakes and Spiders

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on July 05, 2017 at 17:53:39 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Cardinal Rule For Snakes and Spiders posted by steveVa on July 04, 2017 at 16:08:32:

Like, you, Steve, I will let them go unless they choose to nest around my house. If they do so, I use patience and a hoe.

Twenty or twenty-five years or so ago, I had noticed that "blue racers" had established a nesting area not far from my house. I've been told that blue racers are a species of black snake but have never researched this. Though I sometimes spotted one, I left them alone until my then girl friend walked around the corner of the house, saw one and went into hysteria.

I picked up my trusty hoe, walked around the corner and found a pair of dark blue/black snakes coiled together mating. It pained me deeply as the snakes ignored me and the GF wailed, but I took best aim and chopped where I thought my hoe would do the most damage.

My hoe killed one of the snakes outright but the other 2/3 of a snake took off in the direction of the den. I well remember running after the 2/3 snake with a red back end with my hoe (I was about 42 at the time), chopping furiously but always striking the ground a bit behind. I simply could not catch it.

FWIW, I found the dead 2/3 snake a week or two later close to the den in an area where it could get good sunlight.

I have regretted this incident ever since. Girl friends come and go but those are the only "blue racers" that I have ever seen.

Dean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]