Re: Gun Guys??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mthomas on June 06, 2017 at 00:34:08 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Gun Guys?? posted by steveVa on June 05, 2017 at 10:13:42:

I run a gun store. I have done so for several years. We turn 2-3K guns per year depending on the political climate.

There are a bazillion good cartridges for your purpose. If you do not handload, your best bet is to stick with a cartridge that is not seasonally produced. This eliminates 6mm Rem, 257 Roberts, 300 Savage, yada yada yada. If you do handload, make sure you can obtain brass.

So what is left? The current wonder child, the 6.5 Creedmoor. It may not be in favor ten years from now. The 260 Rem uses the same bullet at a higher velocity, but it is greatly diminished in popularity. Then there are the 270, '06, 25-06 and perhaps one or two others that are easily obtained.

A year or two ago, even 243 was impossible to get.

If I were not a handloader, I would pick a 270, shoot 130 grain bullets, try several varieties, find one the gun liked and stock up several boxes of the same lot number.

In current production rifles, for wood and blue steel I would pick a Winchester 70 Featherweight. In cheap plastic, there are several advantages to the Ruger American over the Savage Axis.

Decide if you want wood or plastic. Nice or cheap. Pick 270, a decent scope, and practice.

If you are rich, you have plenty of other options.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]