Re: Gun Guys??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ultradog MN on June 05, 2017 at 19:04:28 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Gun Guys?? posted by steveVa on June 05, 2017 at 10:13:42:

What kind of ranges are we talking here? What kind of country? Brush, fields, 50 yds? 100? 200?
Are you planning to put a scope on it or just use iron sights?
I killed a lot of deer over the years with a 30 30 Marlin lever. Was my HS graduation present.
Mostly woods and brush hunting here so about the longest shot you'll ever get is 80-100 yards. It is a great, small, inexpensive rifle and I'd still be using it but when my eyes started changing I wanted to put a scope on something so I bought a new rifle. Bought a .270 mostly cause the guys I hunt with have that caliber. Also think I'll get out west someday.
I agree with the guys who suggest a 30.06 too. Probably the most popular caliber in the US and ammo can be bought almost anywhere.
More than plenty of stopping power for any large game in the US.
I like my .270 though.
Nowdays I hunt from a permanent blind over a mined out gravel pit. I keep a nice deer plot growing about 100 yds out. So having a shot around 200 yards is not out of the question. First deer I ever shot with it I paced it off afterwards and it was 220 paces.
Couldn't have made that shot with a 30 30 even if I had put a scope on it. .270 dropped it (big doe) like a box of N transmission gears. Kathunk! She didnt move an inch. I have a good 3X9 on it which I think I'll never get used to for snap shots like I could do with the 30 30 though. Something to consider if you are used to iron sights.
Sorry this got so long.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]