wake up call for farming

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by larryb on April 14, 2017 at 13:02:39 [URL] [DELETE] :

We recently moved from Kansas to central Arkansas on a small hobby farm that was in bad shape. Dumped trash, fences removed or destroyed several old building had to be torn down septic system cleaned and problems with the house had to be addressed. After rebuilding fences for the horses, removing old buildings and several upgrades I finally got to removing old bales of hay that were partially rotten and unfit to feed to horses. While I was in the pasture burning them this morning a car pulled up and the gentleman introduced himself as the county zone commissioner and stated that I was in violation for not getting a permit to build fences. I told him I was not aware that you had to have a permit to do so on farms. H said someone called him and said we were a petting animal farm that it classified us as a business. After showing him proof that we have been a miniature horse Rescue Farm and all our horses were at one time rescued from other bad situations that help for the animal was needed, he told me I was supposed to pay a $35.00 permit fee to build a fence. Wow what a shocker. He looked around he decided it was ok for now but in the future I might be required to get a permit. Gona have to look this one up to see if agriculture requires such things or is this just a money thing for local government since a small part on my farm is in the edge of city limits

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]