I became old today

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce(OR) on March 03, 2017 at 23:42:47 [URL] [DELETE] :

You would think that cancer would do it. Are you serious? Actually since after the first chemo session, things are improving. Old age slapped me up side the head today real hard. The wife and I went down to the bank the other day and she insisted on closing out the safety deposit box with all the official papers in it. I threatened her, "No problem, I will buy a fire safe." She didn't believe me and I did. 1.9 cubic feet of steel. I found it on Craigslist and went over today at noon to get it. Upstairs. In a closet. On top of a table. That at least made it a bit easier to look at. I grabbed it and got educated. This was steel. The fun part is yet to come.
I wrestled it out of the closet, down a narrow walk way to the steep 60 degree narrow stair case. Place it tenderly on the floor and slide it down the carpeted stairs upside down. Got to the bottom of the stairs and about three steps from the bottom, picked it up and stepped backwards, turned to go towards the front door and the knees buckled. Knees buckle? What's this about? The safe is headed for the real fine blemish free wood floor and I am turning pale. Arch the back, re-position the weight and stop it half way down. The strength is now gone. Was it ever really there? Crab walk this over to a rug near the front door and continue the downward journey to the floor. By now I figure this steel weighs in around 130 pounds.
They have a hand truck now and complete with flat tires. I get it on the truck and out the door. Down the sidewalk to the back of the wife's van. I am past breaking out in a cold sweat. That was back when the knees buckled and the floor was coming up at warp speed. We get home and I finally research the weight of the steel. I said 130 pounds, I was wrong. 135. I couldn't get warm after this and went to bed for two hours with the electric blanket. The steel is still in her van and will be until tomorrow when I get my hand truck. Moving day is about three years away. I will hire out everything heavy, which is a growing list with each passing day. Leverage is my friend. So is the front loader but getting that in the house is a bit of a challenge.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]