Re: earliest tract-o-lite?(pics)

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan on June 16, 2007 at 15:29:37 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: earliest tract-o-lite?(pics) posted by lonestarjeff on June 16, 2007 at 15:25:23:

Jeff - here is the before and after pic of my original worklight I just fixed up. It has the Ford script and Tract-O-Lite stamped in the glass lenas as well. The gasket that goes between the glass and the metal reflector is a thin rubber version and dies out and cracks apart. There was quite a bit of this gasket, and a fair amount of rust rattling around my bulb, but the light bulb still worked when I hooked it up to my 6v battery charger. So, I carefully pried the metal reflector back away from the glass with a pair of channel lock pliers to seperate the glass lend from the metal base. The metal reflector had rust through damage, and the reflective paint was all but gone. I wire wheeled the reflector, coated with phosphoric acid, filled the rust through holes with JB Weld, and repainted with Rustoleum high temp silver after taping the bulb. I could not find a replacement gasket to go between my glass lens and metal reflector base when I put it back together, so I used Permatex high temp gasket maker (that is the red that is showing up around the glass lens in the after pic). I then wire wheeled the bucket and bulb housing, primered, then painted with two coats of Tisco Ford Medium Grey paint. I replaced all the wiring and the switch with the Dennis Carpenter versions. Mine also had the diamond logo stamped lightly by the switch screw closest to the center. I have since obtained another reflector, gasket, and glass lens from Don B at just8ns.com. According to Dennis Carpenter, the dimpled lens like ours is for early 8N tractors, and the ringed lens version was for the later 8Ns.

Works like a champ.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]