PLOW WRENCH UPDATES

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley on December 24, 2006 at 11:01:41 [URL] [DELETE] :

HiYa Gang-
Continuing with my research has comfirmed that the plow wrench, 4161c- VBW/Staffordhire Knot logo wrench I have shown in a previous post was indeed the Vaughan Brothers Drop Forging, Willenhall, Staffordshire, England. A National Ford Tool Collectors (NAFTCO) member, Brent Mueller, confirmed with me that he has an English Ford Model T adjustable wrench/tool with identical markings and the FORD script and T-1387 part number. Brent is the gentleman that came up with the Ford Tool Manufacturers chart also shown in the same previous post. Brent sent me a picture of an unusual Ford Plow Wrench from his collection and is shown below. Note it has the oval script FoMoCo logo and USA on it in the usual spot, however there is no FORD 9N17014 part number nor any signs there was one there. The MOORE mold/die/lot number is (M)28. Thanks again, Brent.

Another Ford tool collector from England, Keith Dunderdale sent me a few pictures of rare plow wrenches from his collection. The first one has EN16 stamped on one end. I have EN18 and EN5C examples in my collection but have never seen the EN16 one. We're still trying to decipher the EN part. One would think it's for the "English Ford" version but the suffix numbers don't comply to that rule. I suspect they stood for Electro-Nickel Plating which was a popular form of metal coating back then. I have a Ferguson Spanner in my collection which clearly shows a plating-not a plain, painted forging. The last picture is one of Keiths' that is the same size as the 9N17014 tool only the handle part is ribbed. Keith has two of these, one with ENGLAND as the only identifying mark and the other with no markings. This is another unknown manufacturer so if any one has any info, please share. Keith and I have been exchanging tool info for a few years now and we were both researching the VBW logo and came up with Vaughan Bros. Wolverhamton, Willenahll, Staffordshire, England leads but could not get a direct confirmation. Those villages, cities, and counties listed all were heavy industrial areas with mining of coal, iron ore, and limestone- the three ingredients for making steel. There was an abundance of foundries and steel mills there also. Locks and keys; WWI and WWII bomb casings and cycles also were made there. YALE lock is still a big business there today.

Now, back to the FORD Plow Wrench. The versions made for FORD by the MOORE DROP FORGING CO, had their circled (M) logo and a mold/die/lot number directly to the right of it in the middle of the tool on the back side. We think there were 31 mold/die/lot numbers in all, however 29 is the highest in my collection and 5 is the lowest. Keith's lowest is 5 and highest is 30. Brent also has a 5 and 30. I have a MOORE 7 and 8 but neither has front markings of a Ford logo or part number. Guys, go out to your barns or garages or workshops and look for (M) numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, and 31. I'd be happy to buy any of these or work out a trade. More to come.

Tim Daley (MI)
*9N653I*
*8NI55I3*

Brent Muellers' Unusual FoMoCo Plow Wrench-No Part Number!-

Keith Dunderdales' Unusual EN16 marked Ferguson Spanner-

Keith Dunderdales' Ribbed Handle Plow Wrench-

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]