8N Voltage Regulator

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on October 08, 2009 at 19:44:12 [URL] [DELETE] :

The 8N Voltage Regulator originally was supplied to FORD by the AUTOLITE Corporation, Toledo, Ohio as part number 8N-10505A (Ford number) and VRR-4008-A (Autolite number) though only the Autolite number appeared on the tag Autolite riveted to the VR. Service Bulletin 78, dated October 26, 1948, was issued to increase amperage output of the 3-brush 8N-10000-A generator to accomadate the additional amperage pull while using headlights, tail lights, amd worklights. Service Bulletin 112 issued May 6, 1949 defined the new Ford regulator, 8N-10505-B, or Autolite part number VAZ-4001-A, and the new 2-brush generator 8N-10000B. Below are pictures of my original Autolite VRR-4008-A voltage regulator with the three rubber insulator mounting feet and plate in various views. There is a number '20' on the ceramic resistor on the back which would designate OHMs. Next is a picture of the VAZ-4001-A regulator, then pictured are the two original Service Bulletins. Finally, I show a new style 8N-10505-B VR that was purchased from Dennis Carpenter back in 2003. It came with a newer style mounting plate so you removed the one with three rubber booties and screwed the new one onto your dash-no drilling required -it fits right into the original holes. The newer style has the screw terminals marked to make hook-up even easier- note BAT / ARM / FLD in that order left to right. The ground wire screws to the lower left mounting fastener on the VR to mounting plate. Most of this information was posted about a year ago but slipped through the cracks getting transferred to our HISTORY forum. Thank you to John Smith for the Service Bulletins and to Don Barkley for the additional part information. To polarize your generator you jumper a wire from the ARM terminal to the BAT terminal taking care not to touch the FLD terminal as this will fry the VR instantly.

Tim Daley(MI)
*9N653I* & *8NI55I3*

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.<1255045451">

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]