Re: Carb ID help

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paladin (Bob In PA) on February 05, 2009 at 05:06:21 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Carb ID help posted by 8N'r--WI on February 05, 2009 at 04:59:57:

The little pin in the center of the paddle is a giveaway that you have a TSX 241 with the brass tag missing. Whether it is a TSX 241, 241A or 241B is anybody's guess.

I have made several posts on the subject of N series carbs. I have rebuilt five of them in the last year and I am trying to keep careful notes on each. Basic conclusions:

I have rebuilt TSX 33's, a TSX 241 and a TSX 241B. I have sized the jets and the only difference in the whole bunch is that the TSX 241B has a noticeably bigger IDLE jet.

If you buy the TISCO or Tractor Supply kit the jets are all supposed to be upgraded to the TSX 241B spec. In practice I found that the jets in the kit are the same as the TSX 33 or the TSX 241, but not the TSX 241B (idle jet is different).

My early 8N is now running a TSX 33 (rebuilt). In practice I cannot get the idle rich enough to eliminate the popcorn sound. I am going to try reaming out the jet slightly to make the mixture richer. Basically, I will be converting the jet to TSX 241B specs.

It's hard to tell with these carbs - you never know how many rebuilds thay have been through, or who messed with them. I had TWO with the choke flapper installed wrong. Only two had the original butterfly valve without the rubber tip.

I hesitate to post the jet sizes because the info is downstairs and it is late. Will post tomorrow.

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]