9N14201 Ground Strap

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by don b on February 09, 2008 at 18:23:14 [URL] [DELETE] :

Before this topic gets lost,I thought I would bring it back to the front.
Randy has posted this:
The 9N-14301 ground strap was released in 5/39 and had some revisions in June, August and October that year. It was revised again in Feb and March of 1940, and then in Oct. '41. It was 5.0 to 5.5 long, center of .34 dia hole in flat end to center of battery post clamp (sized for positive post), and no sign of this being revised ever. It was a 2 gauge woven leaded strap. Ends to be soldered and coated all over with lead. Then entire assembly to be dipped into hot petroleum jelly .
Randy, is there any chance the last revision in 41 was to shorten the strap and reduce the hole dia.to .340?The .340 hole in the strap,would indicate to me that a 5/16 " bolt would be used to secure the strap to ground.The only 5/16" bolt that would even come close to working,would be to the gas tank,and I don't think Ford would be making a ground connection to a gas tank.According to the 41 parts book,the air cleaner to battery tray bolts and the tool box to battery tray bolts were 7/16" and will not go thru a .340 hole.It is still my opinion that the early 9n tractors used a 10-11" strap with a possible 1/2" hole.I'm hardheaded and a dummy,and may be as wrong as wrong can be,but there is just not any place to connect a 5.5" strap with a .340 attaching hole, on the aluminum dash tractors,that I can see.Is there anyone on this board with a 39-41 9n with the aluminum dash, that has a 5.5" strap?If so, how and where is the strap grounded without drilling a hole in something,which I don't think was supposed to be.All comments appreciated. don b

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]