Restoring my late 40 (finally)

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John (TR) on January 17, 2010 at 21:36:40 [URL] [DELETE] :

I buy and sell a couple N's a year. 2 years ago I picked up an early 40 off ebay. Pretty nice tractor but missing the elusive smooth rear axles. The following spring I followed a lead on some smooth axles and found a set still in a non running tractor. I had to buy the tractor to get the axles but the deal was not bad and I loaded it up in the field where it had been setting. After a month at the house I was able to get it started and then had 2 running 40's.

After much evaluation I decided to keep the late 40 as the dash was perfect, the hydraulics work flawlessly, and she had the smooth axles. I moved some parts around and cleaned and painted the early 40 and sold it. The late 40 was assembled from multiple sources and was at least 4 different colors. I rattle canned it one day just because it was so ugly knowing it would get rebuilt someday. I ran this tractor the last year but its several problems never went away. It has a noticeable miss and low compression on one cylinder, the remaining 3 are barely at 90lbs. The clutch sticks bad and doesn't always release when running, it has very low oil pressure when hot, the shifter cover is worn and the gear shift drags on the gears in neutral, its Sherman equipped tranny whines, and it has no brakes. When I assembled it last year I rebuilt the front axle/support, replaced most electrical items, and other work so I already have a start on it. I've also been accumulating parts for it and they are setting on the shelf.

So about a year later than planned its time to tear it apart. Into the shop and apart it comes. I plan on taking the block to the machine shop to be magnafluxed before committing any more funds. Hope to have the block out and ready to send out tomorrow night. I have all original parts including a set of Hall headlights, a new aluminum grill, muffler heat shield, 32" wheels and tires, and intend to restore it to as original as I can get. My 8n works frequently and has been modernized, but this ones going to be original. I have 3 early radiators each with its own problem, the red one is water tight but rough, will have one nice one when its all done.

As purchased

Removing the stuck wheel centers

Preparation for overhaul

Follow Ups:

Subject: :

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.<1263782200">

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]