Using Car Wheels on a 9N or 2N

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim.UT on May 29, 2009 at 20:23:44 [URL] [DELETE] :

We've all heard about using 16" Ford car rims from the late thirties on the 9N or 2N tractors. But the fine print there is that you must also use Ford car hubs from the same era to make it work.

I started this topic on the ads forum when Butch in Me asked for some 16" wheels for a 2N. I responded that I had some car rims that I had taken off a 2N. He was interested and we were about to make a deal when the facts got in the way.

Credit here must go to Roger Weingardt who read the thread on the ads forum and sent me an email explaining that Ford car hubs and 9N/2N tractor hubs look the same, but have different bolt circles. I tested it for sure and he's right.

In the photo above are two hubs taken from a 2N. The hub on the right has a Ford car rim on it...taken from the same tractor. As you can see the lugs fit perfectly in the rim holes.

The rim on the left is a 19" rim taken off a different 2N tractor. As you can see in the photo above and in the close up below, the holes do NOT line up with the lugs. It appears that the car hubs have a 10.5" bolt circle while the tractor hubs have an 11.25" bolt circle.

According to Roger, a Ford car hub is a direct swap onto a tractor spindle. I can verify that these car hubs came off a 2N tractor so I believe him.

Bottom line is, if you want to use old Ford car rims to run 16" tires on the front of your 9N or 2N you must also use old Ford car hubs.

The wheels and hubs I have will be put on ebay in the antique car parts category.

Follow Ups:

Subject: :

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.<1243643024">

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]