Re: Shop Temperature

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John (AL) on January 27, 2014 at 19:55:51 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Shop Temperature posted by Del Huebner on January 27, 2014 at 11:22:02:

Yeah, that's too cold for my blood. Build a fire, man.

Since everyone is talking shops.... No current, inside pics because it's night.

My home was hit in the April 27, 2011 tornado outbreak. I had a workbench, tool chest, and drill press set up in my garage and a metal building about back for my mowers, fertilizer, lumber, axes, etc. The funnel went directly over the shed and sucked the entire thing, even the concrete blocks buried in the ground that the corner blocks were sitting on, straight up into the air. Threw my 42" riding mower into one neighbor's house, my axes, machete, and about 200 socket pieces, into another neighbor's house. Luckily, no on was killed in our neighborhood, though the lawn mower did break my neighbor's ribs and punctured his lungs.

Anyway, so all that to say, I got a new shop in the rebuild. I thought 14 x 20 was all the space I could ever use.... No. No. No. If it was 28 x 40, it would still be too small! I've been fortunate to have picked up a bunch of tools and equipment from family members who are passing along their stuff as they get older and no longer use it. Anvils, floor-mount drill press, band saw, etc., take up a lot of space. But, it does have a 14" long work bench made entirely of 2x6 and 4x4 I salvaged from all the mess (made my son a play fort with three swings, a slide, a fireman's pole, retractable ladder, and zip line escape, using salvaged parts, too!), with the wall above the work bench covered with peg board, which is great for storing tools you need right away.

And, best of all, a 5,000 BTU wall banger keeps it pretty cool in the summer and my oil-filled electric radiator keeps it toasty in the winter.

I told my wife I was going to put in a urinal and sink out there and she went bizerk. Said, "no way, I'd never see you if you did that!"

That's where the old shed/shop stood, somewhere between my house and what was left of the guy's behind me.

Here's an aerial of the current shop (grubs came after the tornado...).

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.<1390870551">

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]