oil pressure

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RJM528N on March 29, 2021 at 13:57:28 [URL] [DELETE] :

I just had a complete rebuild done on my '52 8n. It was done by a guy who has done several and likes working on older Ford tractors. The reason I had it done was I was not getting oil pressure on start-up unless I primed the oil pump by squirting oil into the front of the engine. It finally got to the point where even that didn't work. Anyway the guy replaced the oil pump instead of rebuilding the old one. I now wish I would have insisted. After I got it back I noticed that on start-up the oil gauge needle wouldn't move right away but after a couple of seconds it would snap over to 40-50 lbs. Then after setting a few days it took a bit longer for the needle to respond. This morning after it sat for a week, the needle won't move at all. All too familiar a sight! I thought I had an old gauge lying around but can't find it. I assume eliminating the new gauge he put on would be the first step. If something simple doesn't fix it he will have to. I haven't called him yet because I wanted to cool off a bit first. My question is: should I try to find an old oil pump that has been rebuilt if he decides to change it? He asked me if I wanted my old parts and I thought I said yes I will come and get them. I forgot about it and when I remembered he said he had taken them to the scrap yard that morning. Any advice other than I should have known better than to not rebuild the old pump?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]