Re: Piston for 2n hydraulic pump

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on December 30, 2020 at 05:59:17 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Piston for 2n hydraulic pump posted by Rich on December 29, 2020 at 14:11:04:

HiYa Rich-
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you are trying to describe is the original 9N,2N, and 8N hydraulic piston which used three steel rings (see item 'K' from page), similar to the engine pistons. When the NAA (Jubilee) was released in September, 1952, it had a new hydraulic system and it was revamped with a new piston as well but now used a single rubber O-RING with a leather back-up wiper/seal. The new Piston is the same size, 2-1/2" diameter as the previous 3-Ring 9N-530, now as part number NAA-530-B; O-Ring is p/n NAA-533-A; and Back-up Washer is p/n NAA-473-A. The new NAA parts will work on the older 9N, 2N, and 8N cylinders. It was a better design, and many times fellas will replace the old style with the new style when rebuilding the system. See scan below of the Dennis Carpenter catalog with these parts. Note the later cylinder and piston was 3" in diameter and the p/n NCA-530-B so don't get anything with an "NCA" prefix. I highly advise to replace your 2N with the new style Piston & O-ring AND get a new cylinder as well. A big reason why Ford switched to the O-Ring piston was that the prior 3-ring piston would gouge the cylinder walls over time especially if the oil was low or run dry. You should also get copies of the ESSENTIAL MANUALS for your shop and/or coffee table. We have some in our MANUALS forum you can download for free -you'll need Adobe to do so, also free -see menu. You can get all your new parts at Carpenter or Just8Ns. Here is a good D-I-Y video on the Ford N-Series hydraulic repair as well. Removing the top cover is a big time consuming job and the 9N/2N system is different than the 8N.

DENNIS CARPENTER FORD TRACTOR REPRODUCTION PARTS:

FORD 9N/2N ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR/PARTS/SERVICE MANUALS:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]