When I purchased my first 1945 2N tractor a few years back (not knowing much about them) it had a 8 Volt battery installed. It runs like a top. I rewired everything, replaced anything broken or not original...although I left the 8 Volt battery. The only issue is that the amp meter never reads positive and I have assumed it was because of the 8 volt battery and the generator couldn't charge it correctly. I always put a 8 volt trickle charger on it when not in use and I never have a starting problem. I am really not interested in converting to a 12 volt.
Question: Why doesn't my new amp meter ever read positive? Because of the 8 volt battery or is the generator bad??? Can I have this original generator built to charge 8 volts?