Re: Electronic ignition?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Peter on December 03, 2020 at 08:01:50 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Electronic ignition? posted by Tim Daley(MI) on December 03, 2020 at 07:16:38:

My tractor is running fine now that I worked through the wiring and cleaned things up. It's a front distributor with conventional points. Serial # on the engine block puts it at a 1942 9N .A prior owner did a 12 volt conversion to a single wire alternator. It has a solenoid to control the starter and it is switched by the ignition key. I didn't see any resistors in the circuit.
I have the manuals, which are a big help, and consulted the articles on this site as well. Then once I realised that the wiring didn't match the diagrams I set to and traced what went where so I could draw my own circuit diagram. (Ham Radio electronic skills - ve3cnp)The problem was crud and corrosion build up so I cleaned the terminals until they were shiny. Hey presto , everything works again. For now, I applied dielectric grease to the connections.A re-wire is probably needed. The wire from the alternator to the battery looks a bit thin for my liking and I prefer the separate ignition key and starter button (just like my 1960's Mini I had in England).My tractor is being used to "bush hog" and snow clear. It's not a show piece but I want it to look decent and be as reliable as I can make it. Most of what I have done is long overdue maintenance but having fun doing it I will be back to consult when I run into problems.
Peter

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]