Re: Starting issues...any ideas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on November 24, 2020 at 06:49:33 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Starting issues...any ideas? posted by Travis Webb on November 21, 2020 at 20:49:23:

"... I'm thinking I need to replace the starter. Am I on the right track with that logic?" NO! Most likely starter motor is fine. You are guessing and succumbing to breaking one of the major rules of mechanics. True Root Case Problem Solving - don't guess, leave that to lottery numbers. A 12V coil on a 6V system will not harm nor cause your hard staring issues. Incorrect wiring is 97.8% of all non-starting issues. Fuel #2 and compression #3. A weak/worn engine with low compression will make starting tougher. Do a compression test? A 6V battery does not mean the system is wired correctly for the 6V/POS GRN system. "...I've checked the ignition key, the starter button, the starter relay, the coil, the points, the rotor, and fuel It has a new carburetor on it as well..." How did you check all of these items? What was wrong with the old parts, carb included? Did you perform the fuel flow test? OEM components were designed to be rebuilt over and over. New aftermarket parts are made in Cheena and often junkers. If carb passed fuel flow test, leave it alone. Chances are your new Beijing carb was not preset so if you didn't tweak it, won't be right anyway. Rule #2 mistake is replacing every part til you get it running, or not. You basically did a tune-up with new points, plugs, rotor, condensor, but did you set the TIMING on the distributor correctly? You need a timing light to accurately set the timing. TIMING is 4 BTDC on the 8N Angle Mount, Firing Order is 1,2,4,3 CCW. Breaker Points are gapped at .025", plugs are gapped at .027". Both the OEM 8N OWNER/OPERATOR'S MANUAL and the CLYMER/I&T FO-4 MANUAL have chapters on the tune-ups and how to R&R the system. Go to our HOW-TO's forum, under ELECTRICAL, and download a copy of WIRING PICTOGRAMS by JMOR. Verify wiring is all correct -take no shortcuts.

FORD 8N TRACTOR ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR/PARTS/SERVICE MANUALS:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]