Re: Starting Circuit Question for the Experienced Guys

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob in KS on November 22, 2020 at 12:10:45 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Starting Circuit Question for the Experienced Guys posted by Jerry on November 22, 2020 at 10:04:50:

"I have an 841 converted to 12v. It starts up usually as I release the starter button."

I suspect that you have too much resistance in the coil circuit. Many 12 volt conversions are done with a kit that comes with an external resistor for the coil. Many times this resistor is installed in addition to a direct 12 volt no resistor required coil, or the resistor in the kit is too high an ohm value.

A quick check would be to put a jumper wire across the resistor. If it starts easier you know the resistance is the problem.

Check the resistance across the + and - primary terminals of the coil. If the resistance is near 3 ohms you have a direct 12 volt coil and need to remove any extra resistors.

If the coil is 1 1/2 ohms it is a 6 volt coil and needs an added 1 1/2 ohm resistor for 12 volt system If this is your case, check the resistance of the resistor and if it is significantly greater than 1 1/2 ohms, replace it.

Your tractor on 6 volts did not have the bypass, it should not need it now. Something with your bypass is not wired correctly.

I have an 8N with side mount distributor that had same problem as yours when I got it. It had a direct 12 volt coil plus the kit resistor that measured over 5 ohms. I removed the resistor and it now starts like it should.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]