Re: tractor cab; battery

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on November 15, 2020 at 06:57:19 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: tractor cab; battery posted by Dead Eye Dave on November 15, 2020 at 06:11:13:

HiYa Dave-
Been reading your stuff for years. Yes, one of the features of a 12V system is that it will spin the starter faster. That is a plus when you have a worn engine. The 6V POS/GRN system has worked fine for over 75 years so like I said above, often if you have a slow or non-starting tractor, chances are there is something else wrong like a fuel, compression issue, or an incorrect wiring setup. There's nothing wrong or shameful about a 12V/NEG GRN system, or a 6V POS/GRN system for that matter, as long as it is wired correctly for whatever you choose to use. FACT: 99.98% of all non-starting issues are due to mucked up wiring regardless of whether they are 6V or 12V. many 12V switch out jobs get done incorrectly and often result in the same or worse situation.My early 8N was my restored 'show' baby but also my 'work' tractor and I had special items on it just for that, but as stated, it also was my show tractor, having OEM parts put on just for when she got all gussied up to take to town out dancing. I have never switched out to 12V even when I had a worn engine but if I were to have an N just for a workhorse today I'd consider going to 12V. Whatever setup you have, do it right. In our HOW-TO's, as you know, under ELECTRICAL, is JMOR's WIRING PICTOGRAMS. Since no other Ford N Tractor manual exists on wiring you N for 12V, Jesse has put together this fine document showing all the correct ways to do so for every model year from '39 thru '53. Just wanted to post for others. FWIW & FYI: As stated, one of the major causes of non-starting issues is in the wiring and the battery needs to be addressed first, charging system second. Whether 6V or 12V, if the generator or alternator belt isn't maintained at the correct tightness with a tension device, it will not charge the battery no matter what. Lack of belt tension is often the cause of battery discharge. Keep it on a float charger when not in use.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]