Re: tractor cab; battery

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on November 15, 2020 at 06:23:09 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: tractor cab; battery posted by Rich on November 14, 2020 at 17:03:41:

First, welcome aboard the NTC –best source for vintage Ford tractors you will ever find. As a newbie, have you got copies of all the ESSENTIAL MANUALS in your shop, barn, or on the coffee table? They are the most important tool investment you can make. Read religiously. You want to focus on the do’s and don’ts and safety so you don’t break anything, especially yourself. Do not start buying any new parts willy-nilly and just begin replacing them. All Ford components were designed to be rebuilt over and over. That is your first choice over buying any new aftermarket component since all are made in Cheena now and are mostly cloned junkers. Next, just because your battery is 6V it doesn’t mean the electrical system is wired correctly for the Ford OEM 6V/POS GRN system. The 6V system works just fine, any lack of ‘power’ is due to something else going on like fuel or compression. The 6V/POS GRN system is the #1 most misunderstood feature on old Fords. The #2 most misunderstood feature is the front mount distributor. Ford N-Series Tractors used the front mount distributor from 1939 thru 1950. It requires removing to your bench when doing a tuneup. Points are set, timing is set manually –no timing light is used – and unit is tested before mounting. It is only mounted one correct way but if unit is forced down 180° off, it will bust the aluminum base and result in junk. You need to determine if you have a front mount or the later angle (side) mount system. It matters.

The battery is the 'heart' of the electrical system. Have the battery tested at a reliable shop. Specific gravity must be met, checked with a good hydrometer or, preferably, a test machine. A weak or dead battery is often the culprit in non-starting tractors/vehicles. The constant discharging and recharging of a battery will deplete its life span quickly. Bargain house units have a reputation of only giving 2 years or less of life so invest in a good brand (INTERSTATE, DEKA, DURACELL/East Penn) GP1 6V AG or GP25 or GP 35 12V battery. The best investment you can make to ensure a long battery lifespan is to buy and use a float charger. NOTE: A basic battery charger is not a 'float charger' nor is a trickle charger. Simply charging a battery does NOT mean it is good. It must maintain a full charge under load, meet the specific gravity specs by testing with an hydrometer or bench tester at a shop. When the vehicle is idle, i.e not running, you keep the float charger connected so it will maintain a full charge so it is 100% ready to go when you need it. Keep it connected if tractor is idle for 10 days or more. I just keep mine on every time when idle and use the DELTRAN BATTERY TENDER units –reliable and guaranteed. Your local trusty starter/alternator/generator shop guy can bench test the battery, generator or alternator, ammeter, voltage regulator or cutout, ignition switch, Period preventative maintenance is the key. Check wiring belt tension often. If your generator does not have a belt tensioning bracket, it will not keep the belt tight and thus will not keep the battery charged.

The OEM Owner/Operator Manual, the MPC’s, and I&T FO-4 Manual all have electrical info, including rebuilding and maintenance. Our HOW-TO’s forum has tons of information with many D-I-Y projects. Remove the battery and take to a good shop to be tested under load on their machine. If bad now you can go and buy a new one as described above but do NOT install it until you have verified the entire wiring setup is correct and you are ready. Here’s a taste of some manual info while you wait for your copies –available at Dennis Carpenter or Just8Ns. We have some in our MANUALS forum and offer DVDs on our Donation page. Get a copy of Bruce(VA)'s "75 Tips for N-Owners" in our How-To's forum and a copy of "WIRING PICTORGRAMS by JMOR", also in the forum, or, see link below. Need additional help? I rebuild carbs, distributors, starters, generators, and more. My email is open.

FORD TRACTOR BATTERY INFO:

BATTERY TENDER JR (6V) BY DELTRAN:

FORD 8N TRACTOR WIRING DIAGRAMS:

FORD 8N TRACTOR WIRING & TIMING AFTER S/N 263843:

FORD 8N TRACTOR ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR/PARTS/SERVICE MANUALS:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]