Re: tractor cab; battery

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce(VA) on November 14, 2020 at 17:07:18 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: tractor cab; battery posted by Rich on November 14, 2020 at 17:03:41:

The original 6V battery is Group Size 1 - 9-1/8 (L) x 7-1/8 (W) x 9-3/8 (H).

I own 4 6v 8N’s and 2 6v 1929 Fords. All use the same battery, a Deka, model 901MF (made by East Penn) or the Duracell equivalent, Ultra BC1.

I always run the vehicles to operating temp every 3 or 4 weeks if they haven't been used. To make sure the battery doesn't discharge, all now have hard wired Battery Tender float chargers. (And that will extend the life of any battery because it stops them from discharging.)

I also keep everything "clean, bright & tight", use the braided strap & 00 gauge negative cable.

So, in addition to it being a well made battery, doing everything else right gets me on average, 8 years out of a battery. I have one battery that will soon be 12 years old.

I like the idea of a gel battery…..as in the Optima’s. But, my Model A friends tell me that the newest versions, made in Mexico, are no where near as reliable as the ones made 10 years ago. As further proof of that, Batteries + Bulbs no longer stocks them . Further, being a gel battery, they require a higher charging voltage so the average charger will not work on them.

Got a Batteries + Bulbs store near you? They sell Duracell 6v batteries.....also made by East Penn. $82 w/ exchange, 640 CCA and Battery Tender 6/12v float chargers ( DBT022-0209-DL-WH ) for $85.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]