Fuel system - cleaning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Peter on November 10, 2020 at 12:49:05 [URL] [DELETE] :

1942 9N - 12v with front distributor, points & rotor

I was having problems keeping the engine running unless I fiddled with the choke as I drove along. Concluded I had a fuel starvation problem, so I cleaned the decades of sludge out of the glass bowl on the tank stop cock, cleaned the fine mesh filter in there as well. Then blew out the fuel line using the compressor and cleaned out the filter on the carburetor fuel intake. Swore at the seal on the glass bulb putting it back but I did get it to seal.

I sprayed the carburetor with a liberal serving of cleaner for good measure.

Changed the spark plugs while I was at it to brand new Autolite 467 and set the gap at .25 (it had champion J8 in before with a .28 gap)

Full of pride at a job well done I climbed onto the seat and cranked her up with just a little choke. Engine just turned over with a smell of gasoline as the gas poured out of the bottom of the carb.

Swore at the carb, hit it with a block of wood and sprayed some more cleaner in every opening. Still no luck. Carburetor looks to be original Marvel Schebler but the two halves are thoroughly glued together.

Suggestions on where to go from here, Do I just need a new carburetor or is there some secret to getting it apart to have a go at rebuilding it (never done that before)

Peter

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]