Re: crankshaft question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TheOldHokie on October 21, 2020 at 07:43:50 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: crankshaft question posted by Dead Eye Dave on October 21, 2020 at 04:22:07:

I am quite sure it is not made in the USA. My first guess would be Turkey followed by India.

If you are rebuilding an engine regrinding your OEM crankshaft is obviously the first choice. But if I needed to replace a crankshaft that could not be reground I would give new aftermarket some serious consideration. The difference in price between the new aftermarket and a commercially reground OEM is only $135 and you are back to standard main and rod bearing sizes. It also comes with the same warranty.

The aftermarket world is rife with perfectly good new aftermarket Ford tractor crankshafts and given the number of engines made I see no reason the L-head should be an exception. At 70-80 years old the OEM crankshafts have typically seen multiple regrinds and the supply of good used cranks that can go another .010 under is dwindling fast.

IMO you should be happy to see someone has made the substantial investment needed to produce them. Forging and finishing new crankshafts requires a major dedicated facility and significant tooling costs. It is not something you just jump into. I am sure these crankshafts are coming from someone with decades of experience making crankshafts and a lineup of crankshafts for many other applications.

TOH

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]