New generator stops working on 2n

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Frysinger on August 06, 2020 at 14:20:15 [URL] [DELETE] :

For a few years I knew my genny wasn't working, but I was able to charge the battery up and be good to go for a few weeks at least. But last week my 2n died unexpectedly, and I determined that the (brand new) battery had been drained in a very short time. Charging the battery got the tractor running fine again, so I'm pretty sure it just didn't have enough juice to fire the ignition. I concluded that the cutout was probably the culprit for draining the battery, and I had just received a new genny, so I installed both (after bench motoring the new genny to make sure it worked). Once installed, I was able to determine that it was charging due to voltage changing from ~6.5 to ~7.5 volts as I brought the engine up from idle to full. (My ammeter doesn't work - need to replace that too.) So yesterday I did several hours of mowing with the tractor running great (and enjoying new plugs and wires). But in a back field (of course) it died and wouldn't restart. Topped off fuel just in case, but no soap. Since it had been hot and working hard, I thought that would be a good time to replace the coil (which I had on hand), but that didn't solve the problem. So I towed it to my shop and put a charger on it, after which it started right up. But when I checked voltages again, there's no voltage change with engine RPM, suggesting the new genny isn't working anymore. I'm thinking the (2 day old) cutout might have failed, and I have another available, but before I try that I wanted to see if there's something else the hive mind suggests that I check. BTW, the ignition switch SEEMS to be working properly, but I'm not sure how to test that for sure. And I HOPE a new genny wouldn't itself fail in a few hours of operation. Thoughts?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]