Re: Stuck Valve Or Worse

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles Hudson on July 24, 2020 at 13:01:19 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Stuck Valve Or Worse posted by Charles Hudson on July 23, 2020 at 16:56:10:

Just returned from a visit to a local tractor repair shop. Visit was regarding another, unrelated problem with the 8N: The right rear wheel, a 28x11.2, has leaked at the stem. The tire does not hold air for more than 24 hours.

The tractor has a front-end loader - I think it's a Dearborn - and has always been stored outdoors. To provide ballast for the FEL the rear tires have been "loaded" with a chloride solution. Evidently that has taken its toll.

The tractor repair shop owner was not encouraging: he advised me not to put any money into tire repair unless I was willing to perform engine repair ($2000 "basic"; $3000+ "deluxe"). The tractor might run, he said, but "couldn't get out of its own way". He also advised me to scrap the FEL entirely; said it was "junk" and "lethal"; said he couldn't give them away.

I could probably do most of the rebuild work myself, but my problem is that I don't have a workshop or barn in which to do the work. I could scrape together the funds but the time involved might be a problem, and winters here are long and cold.

I got the tractor to handle logs. You could argue that I got my money's worth out of it and should let it go. I hate to do that but you could also argue that any money spent repairing this 8N would be better spent on a newer and more compact tractor, albeit one with hydraulics.

Any opinions? Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]