Re: Washington state owners

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on July 24, 2020 at 08:05:54 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Washington state owners posted by 8n13325 on July 23, 2020 at 22:01:58:

Welcome aboard. There are several members in your area so you should have no problem getting together. Back in the early days of the NTC we had an annual "Steak Fry" where we'd meet for a weekend, drink beer, eat well, drink beer, blow up things, drink beer, drive Ford tractors, and drink beer. Congrats on bragging rights to your early 8N. I have s/n *8N-I55I3* so we are real close to when the engine was assembled, tested, and passed inspection. The 8N Tractor was introduced on July 7, 1947 as the newest Ford tractor model. The '8' designated it was for the year, 1948, and was never to be advertised as a 1947 8N. There were 37,907 8N's released in 1947. The premise was the same as the 1939 9N model released in June, 1939 and numbered that model thru October, 1942. After then the models were the '2N' up until the last was produced in December, 1946. early 1942 produced about 10,000 9N models til February 10, 1942 when the US War Board halted all commercial production for every manufacturer with materials and production to be only for WWII ordnance. The first 2N models were not produced until October, 1942 and then as the steel-wheeled/magneto installed units, often called 'the warhorse models. Standard 2N production didn't resume until April, 1943 after a visit from President Roosevelt in January from Harry Ferguson convinced him that the US needed to continue producing products, farming especially, at home. Standard 2N production continued until December, 1946, when Henry Ford II fired Harry Ferguson. All 2N models sold in 1947 had blocks cast in 1946, stamped as 1947 models when approved by QC, then assembled as full 2N Tractors then. the last 2Ns were released in April, 1947. All engine blocks cast from then on would have the 1947 casting code date tag, new assembled engine blocks (tractors) were now stamped as 1948 8N Models. You can find your engine casting code date on tag on the starter pocket -it is all part of the block. Casting codes defined as: Month/Day/Year block was cast, NOT the day tractor was built. Add 30 days or more to your tractor build date from there. For example, my early 8N has the casting code date of "I167" -which means my block was cast on September 16, 1947. The reason I explained all this is to clear up the 1947 8N talk. Although many parts on the N's are the same, the 8N had some new changes made. The hydraulics now had POSITION CONTROL added and the transmission now had 4-Speed gearing to name a few major changes. If you go to but parts at a dealer and you tell him you have a 1947 Ford Tractor he will sell you 9N/2N parts, which may or may not be correct for an 8N. So, look forward to hearing how your BBQ and left coast bivouac goes, post details and lots of pictures.

FORD ENGINE BLOCK SERIAL NUMBER IDENTIFICATION:

FORD N-SERIES TRACTOR SERIAL NUMBER LOCATION:

EARLY 8N ENGINE CASTING DATE CODE BOSS, SEPTEMBER 16, 1947:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]