Power Steering Start Up Problem, Ford 850

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LarryMaine on July 21, 2020 at 13:29:01 [URL] [DELETE] :

I just finished installation of an OEM Power Steering system on my 56 Ford 850, obtained from a salvage yard. My steering wheel will now not move in either direction more than just a few inches. Prior to install I disassembled all components, replaced all O rings and gaskets, and the center plunger springs. After install but before starting engine, steering wheel worked just fine. I disassembled the tie rods at the axle prior to start up. Only one minor leak at pump pully shaft, really minor. On start up, wheel turned OK for about 1 minute, but then froze up on me. Wheel does move up and down as it should when turned L & R. After shut down, it is still frozen up. The It FO-20 manual is good for repairing an existing system, but misses out on some info needed for a new install like this. My install at the steering box matches the manual photo, and return and pressure lines are connected correctly. On my cylinders, the outside port goes to the higher port on each side of the valve body, and the other port is at the very bottom of the cylinder. Before I start moving hydraulic lines, or remove the valve body, has anyone else had this problem? Are my L & R cylinders reversed, i.e. should the ports be on the top and outside rather than on the bottom? Is the problem at my valve body? Any help fixing or at least diagnosing this problem will be much appreciated. Larry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]