Correct 8N Fan Belt?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Lovejoy on July 18, 2020 at 10:01:39 [URL] [DELETE] :

Recently (June 27), I had questions regarding the connection point for the generator belt adjusting arm (8N-10145). With that favorably remedied, a new question arose regarding the correct fan belt. I ordered one from a well known & highly recommended Source which verbally assured me that the belt was 46-1/8 long and was the correct belt for the 1949 8N (Ser 8N-214385 with front mount distributor). The belt received is an "Agribelt" labeled as S.18834, Fan Belt-B43/B1090 manufactured by Sparex. The belt was not notched as advertised by the Source! With some trouble, I installed it with the result that the air space between the generator and manifold is so small that I can barely slide a piece of paper between these components. (Yes, I have the 1/2" deflection.)

I'd like to think that Ford would not have had the generator and manifold so close. Am also thinking that a belt with a smaller cross-dimension would fit deeper inside the three pulley grooves with the result that the generator and manifold would ultimately have more distance between them. Opinions please!

Lastly, can you read the belt size information from one of your known good belts? Is it notched?

Thanks,
Jim L.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]