Re: 2N start button stopped working

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Frysinger on June 28, 2020 at 09:14:32 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 2N start button stopped working posted by Tim Daley(MI) on June 28, 2020 at 05:46:17:

Thanks for the diagrams - I can't find my copy of the FO-4 manual.

I should have been more clear about my symptoms:

1. I started the tractor in the morning as normal, with plenty of crank at the starter. It ran (and runs) fine.

2. After a break when I went to restart I got NO response to the starter button (no sound at all).

3. I was (and am) able to jump the tractor from an external battery by connecting that battery's negative to the starter motor lug, and touching the positive to the foot peg. It cranks fine and starts right up, so the starter motor is fine. After jump starting I ran it for several hours yesterday.

4. I put a charge on the battery overnight to make sure it's at full charge. Even with a 6 amp charger connected I get NO sound when I press the starter button.

5. Suspecting a problem with the starter switch connected to the safety starter button I put a voltmeter on the terminals of the switch. It reads full charge until I press the starter button, and when I push the button the voltage drops significantly, suggesting that the starter button IS still actuating the starter switch, and that the starter switch is making electrical contact.

5. So it seems clear that there was a sudden break in the connection between the starter switch and the starter motor. Since the 2n doesn't have an external solenoid I'm looking for likely places to check, but couldn't find my copy of the 9n/2n electrical wiring diagram.

6. Looking at the diagram you sent, it must be with the cable between the switch to the starter motor, UNLESS there is a solenoid built into the starter motor. IS there one? Even though the starter motor works, it's possible an internal solenoid (if one exists) has failed.

7. To be clear, I haven't changed any parts.

Thanks!
Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]