Re: Locked up motor after rebuild

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on June 05, 2020 at 08:09:36 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Locked up motor after rebuild posted by Scott on May 19, 2020 at 15:17:20:

Okay, so I've done some digging into the motor. The bearings that I initially put in were VERY shiny. I found this odd since the engine had zero run time and only a handful of revolutions. I think I know the culprit though: me. When I was installing the main caps, I got the rear and center mixed up. I noticed this after I had already torqued the caps down and went to put in the front bearing and realized it was supposed to be the one in the middle. OOPs. So I just swapped them back thinking everything was fine. Well, I guess maybe the two journals are slightly different.

I replaced all the main and rod bearings, this time paying close attention to where they go and the proper torque sequence, and now the engine turns over with about 72ft/lbs of torque. I think this will go down once the rope seals compress a little. As of right now, the engine is still on the stand and it will be a couple of days before I can get it back on the tractor and try it out. Thanks for everyone's input. I'll post some pics of the bearing I removed. There are some interesting "divits" on them as well as the polished surface.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL:
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]