Re: More power, cleaner air, and better fuel efficiency?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ultradog MN on May 27, 2020 at 10:33:48 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: More power, cleaner air, and better fuel efficiency? posted by Brad on May 26, 2020 at 09:52:56:

Experimenting is good. Tinkering is great. Seeking knowledge and a better way keeps you young.
Call me a curmudgeon if you like though I don't give a hoot about originality.
My 3000 is actually a 3600 in disguise. It has 8 speed transmission with live pto. It also has live hydraulics which on later tractors is completely unrelated to the pto. It has differential lock, dual remote service valves, convertable category I/II balls on the lift arms, power steering, 8.8 gpm hydraulic pump, hydraulic flow control. It has position control, draft control and draft WITH position control. It produces ~38 hp at the pto from a diesel engine which is much more reliable and has much greater longevity than a gas engine - particularly an N engine.
It has much heavier rear axles that are superior to those with splined hub and external nut. It will lift more on the 3 point, go faster - and slower than an N. It has 2 reverse speeds.
My tractor's value is in the $4K-$5K range. That's cheap.
As I stated above, tinkering and experimenting are good. But as I have stated before, tinkering and experimenting can only go so far.
You could Never make an N as capable or as reliable as a stock 3000 or 3600.
Ever!
Still want to tinker? Want more hp than the 175 CI diesel engine will give you? Dropping a 183, 192 or 201 CI engine into the tractor is a direct, bolt up piece of cake.
Want more HP yet? Put a turbo kit on a 201 and get a gear busting 70 HP out of it. Maybe port and polish the head and turn the pump up and get a few more. Or heck, drop a 233 or 256 4 cyl engine engine in it and push it to 100 HP.
Sick of points and carbs?
Stick new pistons, head and fuel delivery system in a gasser and viola! you have a diesel.
Want a better loader tractor? Stick the front end from a 3400, 4400 or 4500 under it.
Want better power steering than the 3600 has?
Stick the hydrostatic system from a 545 under the cowel and steer it with one finger with a ton of dirt in the loader bucket.
Want superb inboard wet disc brakes and double reduction rear end?
Put the rear end from a 2810 or 3910 on it.
Want more hydraulic flow? Like 17 gpm or more? Add the dual pump system from a 4610 to it.
It's all just tinkering. It's all just learning new stuff. And fun to boot.
The best part is you will still have all the other standard and optional items which I enumerated above - on a platform not much bigger than an N.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]