Re: More power, cleaner air, and better fuel efficiency?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TheOldHokie on May 27, 2020 at 09:26:09 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: More power, cleaner air, and better fuel efficiency? posted by Brad on May 27, 2020 at 08:40:26:

The story is not one sided. Newman's machine did not work as claimed. I spent 30 years working as a researcher at NIST and if you want something measured accurately they are quite literally the best in the world at it. Try reading the NBS technical report on their examination of his prototype and their test results. You will find a link to it in the bibliography of that article.The NBS/NIST physical metrology people are world leaders in measurement science. Here's a 2016 news release describing one of their newest measurement toys: NIST-4 Watt Balance. It is used to measure energy levels at the photon level. So even using 1985 technologies test rigging and measuring the energy produced from Newman's contraption accurately enough to show it did not come even close to performing as claimed was not a big challenge.

I personally have never seen the NIST-4 balance - built after I retired - but I think its about 5 stories underground in a special purpose and very precisely climate controlled laboratory anchored on bedrock. That article is a bit old - I think they have since measured Planck's constant down to an error accuracy of 13 parts in a billion - sufficiently precise for use as a new international standard for the kilogram. Pretty impressive given the already minuscule magnitude of the physical values being measured.

TOH

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]