Re: Color of tractor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on May 12, 2020 at 09:42:56 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Color of tractor posted by John in MIch on May 12, 2020 at 07:33:04:

HiYa John. I know you are already aware of this but I'll just put it out there for others. Yep, when the 8N came out in July, 1947 dealers and farmers alike painted their 2Ns and 9Ns Vermillion(red) and Med Grey and later, blue and white. My uncles painted our grandpas'(mine now) early 9N blue and white on the mid 60's because they liked the blue better. Dealers offered to paint the Hundred Series models as well to blue and white after the Thousand Series came out. FoMoCo never painted any models different than the OEM standard Ford Dark Grey M2888 (Ford never called it "Battleship Grey", that was always a misnomer) on all 9N and 2N models and the 8N introduced the new color scheme as Vermillion (Red)and Medium Grey used up thru the Hundred Series models. The exceptions in regards to paint were, when orders for fleets from state and municipalities were received from dealers, the order would include what paint color they wanted. Yellow was most used but some were also all red or all green. Yes, tractors and implements were only sold by dealers, supplied by the Ferguson-Sherman Corp who was the sales and distributorship division til 1946 when Dearborn Motors became the new tractor and implement division after Ferguson was fired. No FORD factory ever sold the machines. This was the infamous handshake agreement. Ford would manufacture the tractor and Ferguson would handle distribution. When the Ford-Ferguson Moto-Tug was built, it used a basic 9N tractor then was shipped straight from the Rouge to a dealer in Columbus, Ohio, for final assembly hooking up with the suppliers that made the special Tug parts. NO FORD factory ever built the Tug, only under contract with Ferguson Mfg. and FORD using the 9N. The paint spec for the TUG was at first to be "Lusterless Grey" a bluish-grey shade as the first orders were to be used on carriers in WWII. Soon Olive Drab Green and basic 9N Grey were added as for use on airfields and other military bases. After WWII ended, many TUGS were returned to the Pacific Naval bases to be scrapped or revamped for other uses. When the Korean Conflict erupted, Tugs were then painted yellow and used again on carriers. This is the story on Ford tractor Paints.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]