Re: Sparkie Meister Methodologies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on April 30, 2020 at 21:47:44 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Sparkie Meister Methodologies posted by Beth and Allen on April 30, 2020 at 17:47:23:

Air compressor isn't necessary, but it's so much easier and faster with air tools, I'm especially partial to impactors and air hammers.

Now let me see: if you work in your driveway and you don't have a tree, does that mean you're not a shade tree mechanic? lol ;-)

"2 stage that gets quite a work out" Me too! But mostly when I get it, my workout is running into trouble, flying off the handle and jumping to conclusions lol ;-) and when I exit, it's mostly "stage right" Heavens to Murgatroyd! :-p

I suppose, since not everyone is going to have an air compressor or access to a spark plug cleaning tool, it might perhaps be helpful to list the methods that others have successfully employed?

I could post links to various methods, but folks will get the idea; if desiring specifics, search will turn up further info. Listed in no particular order:

Sandpaper, file, wire brush, barbecue lighter, propane torch, sandblaster, soaking tip in solvent (even gasoline), carburetor cleaner spray (some report liking WD-40), cleaning via plug insertion into good-running engine (ala TOH ET AL), "burning out" plug on gas stove (aluminum foil ball formed to hold plug in position's helpful), pulling spark plug lead slightly away from plug connector, causing spark to jump gap formed from cable to plug, digging carbon out with wire, and yes, even scraping with a pocket knife!

The list could go on, and doubtless I've left out a few ways that some folks will favor over those listed.

About the only downside I have heard about cleaning plugs (and this could be marketing malarkey), is that abrasive methods can remove special coating on the porcelain surrounding the electrode.

If loss of coating ever has made any difference, it's insignificant in comparison to fouled plugs' degrading performance! lol

Marketing Men pushing porcelain protection beware! "A difference that makes no difference, is no difference at all." Somebody said that lol ;-P William James? NOT Jessie James, that much I'm (relatively) sure of (course Jessie might have said it ... lots of people have said that... Just not "Merchandise Marketing Men" ;-p )

It is good to be aware of and know what your options are, just ask MacGyver lol :'-D

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]