Re: Bendix keeps breaking

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on April 27, 2020 at 18:31:32 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Bendix keeps breaking posted by John in MIch on April 27, 2020 at 07:25:11:

We are knocking over a hornet's nest with this issue (lotta' opposing opinions that vary).

I can point you towards forums where "reportedly" great success was achieved with this issue, by using part of a broken spring as a wire resistor, to knock battery voltage level down to starter somewhat, from 12 volts, down to something more agreeable for some (persnickety) 6 volt starters.

What was reportedly used in the forums was basically broken starter Bendix Springs. Do you have any nice stout fencing wire laying around? Five or thereabouts wraps of this heavy wire around a wooden dowel to form resistor would be a good starting (lol) point :-) Sorry, no can give any specs on how many turns of what diameter or what kind of wire to use, I've not experimented personally myself.

You didn't hear it from me! (for reasons which escape me, some folks take umbrage and get hot under the collar when discussing this peculiar topic) Ford Man VS Chevy man LOL

imho, experimenting's worth a shot before spending $ for one of those really nice, newfangled starters. Forum URL poster "Royce in Dallas TX" claims success with: "Bendix Spring is a very effective current limiter, as is a 12 foot #2 gage wire."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]