Re: Double shifting unsynchronized manual transmission

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on April 24, 2020 at 15:32:27 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Double shifting unsynchronized manual transmission posted by Brad on April 24, 2020 at 09:14:57:

When I'd had enough "over-the-road" double clutching & speed shifting, and decided on a local job, I needed personal transport and the more economical and smaller (I was way tired of driving huge trucks) the better I liked it.

I was test driving 1993 NA Mazda MX-5 Miata with manual transmission and I simply could not make myself stop double clutching! lol You should have seen the looks on Miata PO's face! Especially humorous as I tended to buttonhook and swing wide around turns, while peering into my mirrors, looking for a non-existent 53 foot trailer! lol :-)

It's not exactly clear what one would gain, nor why one would wish to double shift a Ford 8N tractor, but I feel better hearing from Bruce that it is actually possible (I prefer for things to make sense), as I couldn't comprehend why it wouldn't work?

I wasn't about to give double clutching a go, when manual so blatantly stated "don't do this", HCooke, Oh! but my "curiosity bump" was sure itching! Can't say as I care all that very much for a mystery, because a challenging conundrum makes me want to find solutions! lol

I suppose I should forbear asking (or thinking) about speed shifting, something else we did routinely in our big rigs. Some types of rigs, only time we ever touched the clutch was engaging into first gear, and when stopping (we always down shifted, too).

Remainder of speed shifting was done by instinct and experience, knowing when speeds/rpms were right & how the engine acted, so no clutch was needed. Depending on load and conditions, skipping unneeded gears was also routine.

If I start thinking about whether one can speed shift an 8N? I don't prefer mysteries, as it would bug me seeing as to how I couldn't figure it without a foot throttle, Dean. 'Course foot feed throttle's one of the projects I'm contemplating adding onto my 8N tractor lol (owing due to the need to have more arms/legs/coordination than I possess for conveniently running a front end loader) ;-)

Thanks for your gentlemanly, scholarly inputs :-) Perchance I'd best watch "Unsolved Mysteries" or "In Search Of" so that I don't start thinking about more "Tractor what-ifs" lol ;-D

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]