Re: Tractor won’t start

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary in GA on April 21, 2020 at 18:35:44 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Tractor won’t start posted by Tim Daley(MI) on April 21, 2020 at 06:58:27:

Re: checking the battery - I placed it on the battery charger a week ago to full charge. This weekend it cranked, but poorly. My battery charger showed 59% charge on a 6 year old battery. Time to change.

Re: gas issue - the pet cock, gas line and sediment bowl are OEM (1950), I'm second owner. I removed the drain bolt from the bottom of the bowl and emptied the gas out. I determined, subsequent to it finally starting the the carburetor has a stuck/dirty needle valve/seat as it runs excessively rich and floods the engine on all but the tiniest of openings of the pet cock. Idle screw is either flood or run rough, no in between. Carburetor rebuild kit is on order.

Re: How does a short develop over winter? Damn good question!!! Side mount distributor. No crack in the cap, rotor and contacts have no buildup on them, points in good shape. When I measured the coil with my meter, there was a dead short between the + and - terminals. Continuity between the - and center plug wire. No spark at the spark plug. Ran perfectly last fall when I tucked Herschel in for the winter! All wiring and harness in fine shape.

Installed new plugs (NGK as Advance Auto Parts had no cross reference for the Autolite and NGK was the only cross reference for the Champion; salesman said the NGK was the same temperature range as the Champion). Ran a jumper cable from my truck to the new battery and cranked for a long time with the gas turned off for the flooded cylinders to clear. After a lot of sputtering it coughed to life and ran VERY rough. Burning gas

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]