Re: Starting a rebuilt engine

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Libby on April 17, 2020 at 15:26:38 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Starting a rebuilt engine posted by Tim Daley(MI) on April 17, 2020 at 06:07:34:

Many thanks to all your comments/suggestions, I will try to comment on all posts here. I believe the engine is very stiff after the rebuild. I have a hand crank and it takes a lot of effort to turn the engine over. I have put about 2 Tbs Marvel Mystery Oil (father in law cure to everything)into each cylinder and tried to get oil in the system at the oil block on back corner of the engine, with marginal success. I have used the heavy battery cables as specified for 6 volt. The positive ground wire is a braided strap. However in my fastidious effort to paint everything I have probably compromised the grounds, I will clean those contact surfaces/bolts up as much as possible. It still does not account for why my 12 volt car battery connected directly to the starter and a cleaned area of the flywheel housing doesn't budge the starter. Unfortunately I don't have a spare stand alone 12 v battery so may need to buy one if this is my only option for spinning the engine. Do the jumper cables need to be as heavy gauge as the 6v battery cables? Not sure where I'd get those. I may try a tow but we are at the bottom of a steep hill with gravel drive and an Acura MDX as a tow vehicle! The electrical diagrams are great. I did reference the diagram with the cut-out (no voltage regulator on this tractor) Thus the generator is a single pole 3 brush, I guess, and of course the distributor/coil is on the engine front. I removed all spark plugs and confirmed there is spark down the line as I cranked the engine. Once or twice the engine has popped enough to kick out the starter but no real sputter. I have also tried starter fluid spray which seemed to get me one or two of the pops. Just not enough speed in the engine turnover to bring it to life. Thanks all and I will try your suggestions as appropriate but please keep your ideas coming.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]