Re: craiglist 9N or 8n

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on April 15, 2020 at 06:04:22 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: craiglist 9N or 8n posted by Joshua on April 14, 2020 at 15:49:50:

Run, Don't Walk away! I'd pass. Where's the oil filter canister? Where's the air cleaner??? So carb has no air intake hose to cleaner and thus just exposed??? Permatex under the head says PO didn't know what he was doing. Was the PO trying to mask a leak from a cracked block??? What is that piece of angle iron doing on the upper radiator hose??? What is the wire doing on the middle LH block -a temp sensor??? An 8N starter motor used a solenoid. Don't see one here and don't think it is 9N starter either. The wiring is a rat's nest and which tells me it is all mucked too. Hood is a 9N. Steering is 9N/2N; Pan Seat is 9N/2N -it doesn't flip up; probably a 3-Speed Tranny too. Radius arms are 9N. Drag links are bent. The Date Code ID Boss Tag on the block starter pocket has F-22-9 which denotes the block was cast on may 22, 1949. Those are just the things I can see. So it's your money and your decision but you did ask for advice and opinions. Do you want to buy an iffy, unknown condition, 'mutt' for $750 and then have to put $1500 into it in order to get running correctly and that's if the engine is OK, not cracked? Finally, if you are in the market for an N-Series tractor to work, I suggest a later 8N or if you want a better engine and more power, an NAA/Jubilee, a Hundred (600/800)Series Model, and even better a Thousand Series Model. I'd only buy a 9N if it as a good early 1939 9N or early 8N to restore to all original, IMHO. Hope this helps.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]