Re: Pie wheel weights

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on April 07, 2020 at 05:21:07 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Pie wheel weights posted by Brad on April 06, 2020 at 14:54:17:

Finding a local foundry that can cast sand molds and cheaply is going to be tough. Many US small foundries are no longer in business due to the EPA requirements on waste disposal and other glitches. Reinventing the wheel is your time, money, and efforts. Liquid ballast is a better solution (pun intended). There are a few alternatives to Ca Chl, a substance that works well for added ballast but highly corrosive. It's known to have ruined many OEM Hat Rims. Windshield wiper fluid and used anti-freeze are and can contain water - no better than Ca Chl. The 9 x 28 N Wheels and 10 x 28 tires use tubes. The solutions will work no matter what it is there but when they start to leak, usually at the valve stem, that's when the cancer starts. BEET JUICE is my recommend solution. The Trade name is Rim Guard -see LINK. Good stuff, non-corrosive, good weight per gallon ratio. Nick name comes from sugar beets it is made from. I've been suing Rim Guard since the mid 1990's when it first came out and never have had an issue. N's were not around when the pie weights were introduced. They came with the Hundred Series Models. Two styles were used - the lighter 30# set and the HD 45# set. The pie weight sets also requires the special stud extenders, 16, in order to use as well. Note caution on chart not to use the HD set on the 600 Model. Why? Axle weight limits. So an 8N would not be wise. Now, that being said, I have seen pie weights on 9N, 2N, and 8N models but only 4 or 6 segments were used. I have a complete set of HD pies weights. I mounted them once on my 8N and it was literally an all day project. I learned to cuss like a drunken sailor that day. Never again. That’s when I got smart and found Rim Guard. Duallys were also an option for added ballast too.

FORD TRACTOR PIE WIGHTS, DUALLY’S, AND LIQUID BALLAST INFO:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]