Radiator fan shroud anyone?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on April 06, 2020 at 02:00:42 [URL] [DELETE] :

Wow! Did I ever open a "can of controversies" when searching archives for opinions on "radiator fan shroud."

Consensus so far:

1. Having a radiator fan shroud is a good idea, helps with cooling during idling, slow-moving and stationary operations.

2. Overheating is not an issue without a radiator fan shroud.

3. Aftermarket new manufacture fan shrouds do not fit original radiators well, and are a booger to install.

4. Aftermarket radiators don't fit aftermarket fan shrouds well either, nor for that matter, fit original radiator fan shrouds.

5. Fan shrouds sometimes have clearance issues having to be addressed, depending upon wear of affected parts.

6. Original fan shrouds from Tractor Salvage are the most economical priced, but shipping will bite your budget.

7. Fan shroud has a safety function, keeping fragile fingers away from sharp biting blades, when working around running engine.

8. Fan shroud is a PITA working around front distributor, where there is little room.

From what I can tell, a fan shroud would be a relatively simple sheet metal project to knock together. When I was a kid in shop class, back in the 1970s (decades ago, back when they actually taught shop classes) we built funnels, pour-cans, tool boxes, and any other sheet metal fabrications desired.

If I was to build one (like we did in shop class), I would build it out of cardboard, and check everything to fit proper clearancing, and I wouldn't build it in one piece.

It would make a whole lot more sense to build shroud so you could put it in from the sides and take it off whenever you wanted to, without having to remove the hood, dog legs, etc.

I might get around eventually to installing a fan shroud, but since my radiator is an aftermarket (#3 & 4 above), and absence will make no appreciable operational difference (#2 above), there's no advantage to being in a big hurry, while there is work to be done that will make an appreciable difference elsewhere on tractor.

Two questions: Anyone built their own fan shroud? & People what don't like fan shrouds because they don't think they're of any use and they're in the way & so removed theirs, have one they want to find a home for? I'll gladly take unwanted-and-unappreciated shroud "off your hands" :-) lol It's probably "too good to throw away" and collecting dust on a shelf somewhere. :-D

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]