Re: Rotary mower and shaft length

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on April 02, 2020 at 06:37:31 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Rotary mower and shaft length posted by Pete on April 01, 2020 at 21:20:54:

HiYa Pete-
KUDOS on your ’52 8N and carrying on a family tradition. A rotary mower is the technical name for a ‘brush hog’ mower –is that what you seek? A Rotary Mower is meant to cut heavy thick growth. It consists of a single blade, and most have the stump jumper function and/or a shear bolt. That is that the blade will swing out of the way when/if an obstruction is encountered so the blade, and more importantly, gear box, aren’t damaged. A Finish Mower uses one or more fixed blades, and meant for lawn cutting. I suggest you haul your tractor to whatever dealer you are shopping with and let them hook you up with the correct PTO driveline shaft for the implement you choose. I also highly recommend that you use STABILIZER BARS with whatever mower you use. STABBARS will greatly limit the side to side sway motion which puts less strain and stress on the 3-PT arms. If you don’t already have them, know that there is a one right way and at least a half a dozen incorrect ways to install them -look in our HOW-TO’s Forum to see or email me with the LINK. FWIW & FYI: The label “BUSH HOG” is a trade/brand name and used nowadays to describe a brush hog/rotary mower by most everyone.

ROTARY & FINISH MOWERS –

ROTARY MOWER; aka BRUSH HOG:

FORD 8N w/WOODS 660 FINISH MOWER W/STABILIZER BARS:

STABILIZER BAR KIT:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]