Re: Kingpin no crank hole

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on March 15, 2020 at 06:49:02 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Kingpin no crank hole posted by Brad on March 14, 2020 at 23:48:32:

Brad-
Where did you look for 'kingpin' info? I found almost 125,000 posts in the archives on the topic. FWIW & FYI: ALL N-Tractors came with a hand crank. Early 9Ns included one in the toolkit and later with the 2N it was added in a parts shipping kit, p/n 2N-17003 (SEE MY PIC), and issued with each new tractor, then remained as such until the end of 8N production. Most were lost or tossed aside in barns and sheds and/or never used. They are great tools to have when testing a new rebuilt engine for one example. If you can't see or find the kingpin opening, someone welded it shut, probably when they installed the FEL. There were three versions of the hand starting crank. The OEM 9N-17040; the 2N-17040 spring loaded/wood handled model issued with the 2N warhorse only; and the NAA-17040 with pilot knuckle forged on - SEE MY PIX. You cannot use the hand crank if you have a bumper guard/grille attached -it will not allow clearance to turn. Bumper guards were optional accessories -never an OEM factory installed unit. There was ho-made sketch here somewhere for those who want to make your own. It does however have the wrong diameter of stock used. The OEM crank is an 11/16" diameter steel bar and the sketch shows 5/8" diameter. Hope this helps…

MY ORIGINAL FORD TRACTOR HAND CRANKS:

SHOWN TOP TO BOTTOM: 9N-17040; 2N-17040; NAA-17040

MY ORIGINAL FORD 2N-17040 HAND CRANK:

MY FORD N-SERIES TRACTOR PARTS SHIPPING KIT; 2N-17003:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]