In Reply to: Re: Paint Hardener posted by Bruce(OR) on February 13, 2020 at 05:44:03:
The people in those stories are the rate exception and should never be exposed to isocyanates under any conditions. They are hyper-allergenic and even the slightest exposure can be fatal. Just like bee stings and food allergies for other people.
Over dramatizing the hazard only encourages the use of unsafe practices. For the vast majority of people protection commensurate with their exposure level is all that is needed to work safe. Unless you are working a job spraying or handling this stuff on a daily basis you dont need SCBA equipment to be safe. Spray in a well ventilated space using a good fitting half or full face respirator equipped with an organic gas and vapor filter. Wear goggles, a bunny suit or coveralls and rubber gloves to prevent contact with your skin. After spraying dont re-enter the area without PPE until enough time has passed for the vapors to dissipate. I leave the doors and windows open over night and dont re-enter until the next day. These sorts of safegaurds have been time proven to be safe and effective for intermittent use. If they were not you can rest assured these isocyanate products would not be on the shelves of retail stores.