Re: 8N Stopped Firing Up

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K.LaRue-VA on August 25, 2019 at 11:08:57 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 8N Stopped Firing Up posted by AJ Derrick on August 25, 2019 at 08:33:34:

When we go to the doctor with a cold, do we expect to get a heart transplant? It might not fix anything but maybe we will feel better by replacing something? Hopefully most doctors spend a minute or two checking symptoms before grabbing a knife and cutting.

My side distributor 8N wouldn't fire when I went to move it yesterday morning. It cranked just fine and I could smell fuel. It was way too warm to need choke so I didn't even pull the lever. Rather than bother to grind the starter a second time, I pulled a plug wire and checked for spark. Nothing. Next step, pulled the distributor cap and rotor off to check the points. There was some white stuff looked like flour on the contact surfaces. Got out my point burnisher and made the points look like new. Checked point gap. It was still as near perfect as anyone can set it. Put rotor and cap back on. This time it started right up.

The front distributor is easier to work on. Take it off and go someplace with good light and working AC.

The big message here is for a tractor that has been running recently do not start trying to fix any problem by replacing anything. There are LOTS of things to check before replacing parts.

Yes, new carbs that cost less than $100 are junk. I would never think of using one without taking it apart and checking everything.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]